As some of you know, Small Child will be leaving the public school system this fall. As someone who was well served by public schools, and who is committed to public schools, I agonized over this decision. But that's another post.
We will be joining a true Montessori elementary-middle school community, organic garden and all, about 30 miles away.
Small Child and I just returned from buying school supplies, and our experience reinforced the wisdom -for our family at this point in time - of our choice.
No digging through shelf after shelf of manila paper to find exactly the right size, only to find it not in stock...leading to trips to five other stores until it's found only at Office Depot.
Here is the list:
- small to medium plant, for which the child will be responsible
- machine washable place mat and napkin
- solid color insulated lunch box (I called to ask if last year's, with muted circles, would pass muster and was told yes...they just want to avoid any licensed characters)
- an old, over sized button-up shirt for art
- rubber rain boots for the garden
I love these people.